US President Donald Trump is willing to debate Democratic rival Joe Biden if next week’s planned event is postponed until October 22 and his campaign said during a press release after the president earlier on Thursday said he wouldn’t participate in the October 15 debate
Trump’s campaign also said the third planned presidential debate should be moved from October 22 to October 29. Biden’s campaign, however, rejected Trump’s proposal to push the date of the third debate.
President Trump had earlier rejected plans to hold his next debate with Democratic rival Joe Biden virtually to reduce the danger of spreading Covid-19, complaining that his microphone could stop therein format.
The first debate between the two, held last week before Trump disclosed that he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, descended into chaos with the Republican US president interrupting both Biden and thus the moderator throughout.
“I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate, that’s not what debating is all about,” Trump said on a phone interview with Fox Business after the nonpartisan commission responsible for presidential debates announced the new format on Thursday morning.
“You sit behind a computer and do a debate – it’s ridiculous then they cut you off whenever they have,” said Trump, who added that he was eager to hold campaign rallies alongside his supporters.
Get the latest updates directly on your mobile, save and send a message at +91-9899909957 on Whatsapp to start